There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Spittoon accepts submissions year-round. Response times will vary, but they are generally between 3 to 5 months.
Submissions that do not follow the guidelines are subject to deletion without consideration or author notification.
- No previously published writing; previously-published art submissions okay.
- Simultaneous submissions okay.
- Do not submit to Spittoon more than once at a time; please wait for response before submitting again.
- No photographs or clip art should be in any of the text files; we should only see words on the page, unless the visuals are actually part of the piece and used to help the piece achieve its intended effect.
- Upon publication, Spittoon claims First Rights for all written work; after publication, all rights revert to the author, with the understanding that Spittoon will receive credit if the piece is published elsewhere.
- Before submitting, please read our mission and work we've published, and read the work published or referenced on some of our links to better understand the kind of writing we want.
- Include a short bio / cover letter.
- Any submission labeled by the author as a particular genre (i.e., "fiction") but submitted to a different genre (i.e., "poetry") will be deleted.
- We use Submittable for all submissions. Any emailed submissions will be deleted.
To WITHDRAW a submission, simply withdraw it from the submission manager, following Submittable's instructions for how to withdraw a piece. If you have submitted more than one piece (as is usually the case with poetry or visual art), enter a note in your submission using the Submittable tools, and let us know which piece(s) are no longer available for consideration.